Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The candyman in the Beach Local


I have been commuting everyday in the local train to Tambaram from Nungammbakkam to go to office. That takes around 40 minutes. I did not have any good time pass than observing people who pass by. And then came the good times with my mobile phone refusing to switch on.  I finally had enough reason to buy a new one especially with the language barrier thinking of getting it repaired was out of question. I got a phone with audio player and camera…the pictures that you see are clicked from the phone, and I often listen to music while on train.

 

The evening of 5th May(just yesterday) was no different; just that I was returning alone. I was lost in my own world, listening to songs; so much that I noticed a candy salesman only after he was gone past me. He was shouting something in Tamil which in all probability meant the price of the candies. What was special about the salesman was his ability to fight his disability. He appeared completely blind from the look of his eyes. I was too moved to see this spirited middle aged man (probably on the wrong side of 40s) and I decided to do my bit by buying a candy bar from him.

 

The man had moved all over the big bogey and getting no responses was waiting for the train to stop and standing near an exit door. I approached him and offere him a 10 rupee note. He felt the note with his fingers and asked something in Tamil which probably meant how many I needed. I feel so helpless with the language that I did not reply. I just wished that the train stops and he gets down. But he moved his hands and grabbed my hands and then I responded “How much? One?” ..I guess to people who don’t speak English broken words make some sense (taking a cue from the Autowalas here)…..To my surprise, he responded, “Sir, Rs. 5 for one piece”. I told to give one candy(it did not appear very edible). He put his hand in his pocket to return the money and I whispered in his ear (earnestly) “Please keep the change”.

 

“Sir, Please take the balance. I wish to earn every bread I eat.” And I was left ashamed but full of respect for the salesman. I immediately responded “Give me another one as well.” He passed another candy and left as the train stopped. I stood there for a couple of minutes, delighted by the level of belief the Candyman had on himself, and the never say die spirit that oozed from him.

The two bars that I bought are there in the pic..one smaller than the other (I tried tasting it as well). Infact, I find it so motivating, would always keep them on the study table here.....we are blessed with so much and still we complain

5 comments:

Deepak said...

Dude good post keep up the good work

Neha said...

Good one..
very inspiring..

its for the incident.. not for your narration..
hihihi :P

Pratyush said...

Very Heart warming Ravi!
On your behalf, I dedicate this post to the indomitable human spirit, and the warmth of your heart that accompanies it!

These are experiences that we cherish, and keep with us... For posterity!

Good luck bro!
:)

Aalok said...

a touching experience...

Danish said...

Nice one dude ....
keep up d gud wrk..