Friday, May 15, 2009

TheTamil language, Autos and more: Anna Bachae


Only the other day was I thinking that I have faced so many problems with the Autowalas in Chennai and the language problem around but Friday's event has actually forced me to write on the commonest topic people write about when in Chennai.

Forget the language, even body language is too diificult to adapt to. Initially, I used to ask a typical Tamil restaurant owner "Do you serve Dosa?". On seeing a horizontal nod, I used to start moving out; before he used to say"How many?"
I used to think "How stupid of him! If he has it why is he nodding a no".
Then I met some friends who clarified that the nod for a Yes or a No reverses in Chennai, leaving me much more confused. I now felt, what would have the restaurant guy thought of me "How stupid of him! Asks for a stuff, I say i have it and he plans to move out. Dumb! :)"
Things have become much more confusing, as now when a person nods his head, I am baffled, thinking is it a Yes or a No. Phew...Save me!!!!!

The keyword to address people here is "Anna". I tried addressing people by Sir, Mr., even Bhaiya...but the quickest response u get is by Anna. And I felt I could negotiate with the
 Autowalas by asking "Anna how much?"......par afsos....Only one rule applies to them that there are no rules for them. Many a times, u r made to feel that they are doing a favour to you by offering them the premium charged services. I am just Jotting down some memorable events with the Chennai autowalas so far

Good Morning Chennai - First Morning!!!
Lesson 1: Never Let the Autowalas go unless u r sure that u reached where u wanted to
I was putting up at a Hotel near the Airport. Gurjot and Sharath joined me to report at Cognizant at 9 am. we started at 7:45 am; knowing it was far. we met an autowala and told him to take us to cognizant office. After much explanation in English and partially Tamil (Sharath knows bits), he understood that we needed to go to Thoraipakkam. He agreed at 250 bucks, no negotiation possible..but  since we did not want to be late and three of us would share the fare we agreed. He took us to Cogni office by 8:45 only. We were happy and discussed that people just say rubbish about commuting problems in Chennai. but the happiness was very short-lived as we realized that he had taken us to some other office...6-7 km away from where we were to report. We looked around...the autowala had gone......

Rushed for another auto and needless to say were late to office

 

Lesson 2: Rajnikant is GOD and we must preach his godliness

After getting a room at LIBA, i and Subhojit, a friend from IIFT needed to shift our luggage from the hotel to LIBA. We tried looking for an Auto....we wanted a round trip and it was impossible to make them understand. Surprisingly, another autowala who could also speak Hindi came and started negotiating. Bingo!!!!... the sooner we sat in his auto, he started negotiating on the fixed fare....this was new to me. After hearing his bakwaas for some time, I agreed to pay him more than what was decided...as always...so that he remains quite and drives fast.....And I had to bite my tongue then on....The chap started driving at an extra-ordinary high speed even on jammed roads..........we tried telling him to slow down...but to no avail....he even collided and broke the rear-mirror of a car....and dodged the car driver by racing through the galli and nukaads.....we both just stared at each other.....finally we reached our destination. I asked him "Bhaiya, aaap hamesha itna tez chalaate ho?" to which he replied "Sir, I am a slow- driver, my friends drive it much faster"... Thank God we did not pick any of his friends....U need not guess Rajnikanth is the GOD here :)

 

Lesson 3: How dare you bargain with the Autowalas

Chicking is Chennai's reply to KFC....not as good ...but almost there. It became a regular dinner joint for both of us (Subhojit included). It is at a walkable distance from Loyola gate; around 2 km. Many a times, we have strolled to the restaurant in the evening. That fateful day, we were returning from office and were tired to walk. And then, we decided to dare - take an auto to ChicKing. Autowalas here always speak in multiples of 40 rupees...and it was no different for ChicKing. 

I felt it was unreasonable and started to bargain (here I crossed the forbidden line :)).  To my surprise, the Autowala agreed for Rs.20. I sat in the auto with my head held high and the collar of my shirt......finally I negotiated and was able to take a ride at a reasonable rate. Even felt that I could even teach (forget being taught) Negotiations Skills in 6th sem.....

So far so good...but had this been the end of story...it would not have been here in my list of miseries....there is more to it.

The Autowala drove on the road parallel to ChicKing and stopped at a red light which was nowhere near to ChicKing (btw...it was 1.5 km from ChicKing; we later realized). He told us that we get down and walk to the restaurant. The collar of my shirt returned to its initial position, the myths about my negotiating skills were dispelled in thin air. We were annoyed and helplessly tried to explain "ChicKing!!!! ChicKing!!" The chap said "One-way road, Rs.40". we argued that he agreed on half the money...only to hear him say something in Tamil...so simple...as if this helped...and he would not start the auto....this ordeal was getting too far.........I finally screamed " Ok! ChicKing , Rs. 40, Take".....and finally we reached ChicKing.....while eating the food, I reaffirmed that it was my mistake; afterall, I had crossed the Forbidden Line.....

U never negotiate with autowalas in Chennai.....don't even think about it

 

Lesson 4: Mind your steps even when you are standing still on the side of the road

In the evenings, pleasant breeze blows and it remains pleasant. On Friday, I decided to roam around the marketplace in Nungambakkam; try exploring a few shops and restaurants. I still have pain in my right leg but still I walk so that it eases out.

I was walking on the left side of the road; ensuring basic pedestrian traffic sense. However, this led to my right leg nearer to the vehicles on road; compared to the left leg. I was  standing still, checking out the juice shop in the picture. 

Suddenly, I felt enormous pain in my right foot. To my horror, an autowaala came from behind and cut the rickshaw sharply only to let its back wheel crush my leg. I shouted at the full of my voice.....Thank God, the rick was  not speeding away.....else the plaster would have transferrred to my leg. 

The autowaala came out and told something in Tamil ....I responded angrily in English....only to see him walk back. I was amazed and thought what could I do even to let go my anger........I did not have an answer but to return to my hostel. It is not always Happys Endings

Anna Bachae Chennai ke autowaalon se!!!!!

3 comments:

JITIN said...

ROTFL

HA HA HA :D

seems like ur having an "india vs pakistan" match with the chennai autowalas sirji :P

a really kooooool description of 'the series of unfortunate events' experienced by you with the GODly autowalas a.k.a Rajnikant :)

after reading this post, i will suggest you not to be one-on-one or two or three-on-one even with these annas!!!

btw hope ur leg is feeling much better now & close to full recovery!!

look forward to more such amusing albeit shocking incidents, courtesy the Chennai Super Annas ;-)

P.S. Now i know why ur so much against CSK in the IPL
he he he........ :D

Nids said...

hehe..gud1 ravi...u have shared alot of valuable info ..............

ravi said...

Thanks for your comments Jitin and Nidhi......

Indeed this can be a guide to a first timer in Chennai